The Chiang Mai Noodles Soup, also known in Thailand as “Kao Soi”, is a handed down heritage by “Hor”, a Chinese tribe living at the border between Thailand and Laos.
Combining coconut milk-richness and a fragrant curry-based broth, this deeply savory soup has now become a synonym with the city of Chiang Mai.
Active Cooking Time:
15 Minutes or less
Chef Nooror’s Pro Tip:
Chiang Mai Noodle Soup is Delicious with Chicken thighs or drumsticks as well. Also, most Thais love to garnish it with variations of pickles.
This Set Contains:
- Dried Egg Noodles
- Yellow Curry Paste
- Coconut Cream Powder
- Chili Flakes
- Dried Spring Onions
You Will Need:
- 1 Large Chicken Breast (about 200g.)
- 1 Shallot
- 1 lime
- Small Handful Fresh Coriander
- 3Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 250mL Water
- ½tsp. Sugar
- 1Tbsp. ™Light Soya Sauce
- Pickled Vegetables or Mustard greens
- In a bowl, dissolve the Coconut Cream Powder with 300mL of hot water.
- In another bowl soak the Dried Egg Noodles in hot water, for 5 minutes or until soft, and then strain and toss with 1Tbsp. of vegetable oil and set aside.
- Slice the chicken.
- Next, put a sauce pan on medium heat and add the remaining vegetable oil then stir-fry the Yellow Curry Paste until fragrant.
- Then, add a half cup of the Coconut Cream and stir until the vegetable oil starts to rise above the paste.
- Add the Cardamom, the remaining Coconut Cream.
- Season to taste with sugar and Light Soya Sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and Dried Spring Onions.
- Let simmer until cooked through.
- Now, place your Egg Noodles in two serving bowls, and ladle the hot curry soup over them.
Garnish with sliced shallots, lime wedges, fresh coriander, and Chilli Flakes.