Massaman is an Old-world Curry whose Paste is made by combining red curry paste with tamarind and a sophisticated blend of spices (cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander & cumin seeds).
Active Cooking Time:
25 Minutes or less
Chef Nooror’s Pro Tip:
Try adapting this recipe to work with your favourite slow-braise, or use leftover braised meat in the curry.
Amount of Paste Needed:
- 4Tbsp. Massaman Curry Paste (about 70g.)
What Else You Will Need:
- 300-350g. Lamb or Beef
- 1 Large Potato or Sweet Potato
- 3Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 x 164mL ™Coconut Cream
- 1tsp. ™Rice Vinegar
- 1Tbsp. ™Thai Premium Fish Sauce
- ½Tbsp. Sugar
- Handful of Cashew Nuts or Roasted Peanuts (unsalted)
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- 2 Pieces Star Anise
- Slice meat and the potato into medium-large cubes.
- Heat 1Tbsp. of vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Sear the meat and potatoes on a high heat turning them over frequently until they have a nice golden brown on the outside. Take them off the heat and set aside.
- Heat 2Tbsp. Vegetable oil in a sauce pan.
- Add the Massaman Curry Paste and stir-fry until aroma develops and lower the heat.
- Add half the Coconut Cream. Bring to boil.
- Add the reserved meat and potatoes, as well as any extra spices you may be using. Then add the remaining coconut cream.
- Season with Thai Premium Fish Sauce, Rice Vinegar and Sugar to taste.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until cooked through and tender.
Note: If you’re using sweet potato you may need to lessen or omit the sugar from this recipe. Also You may need to adjust the time according to the cut of meat you’re using.
Serve hot with ™Thai Jasmine Rice.