“Tom Kha Gai” is a favourite soup to so many. Similar in broth to Tom Yam, with the addition of Coconut Cream.
Tom Kha paste is made by pounding together tamarind, galangal, shallot, lemongrass, lemon juice, kaffir lime leaves and chili paste.
Active Cooking Time:
15 Minutes or less
Chef Nooror’s Pro Tip:
For a heartier soup use skin-on, bone-in cuts of chicken. Or for a vegetarian soup use mixed or seasonal mushrooms.
Amount of Paste Needed:
- 4Tbsp. Tom Kha Soup Paste (about 70g.)
What Else You Will Need:
- 300-350g Chicken Breast
- 10-12 Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Lime juice
- 300mL Water
- 400mL. ™Coconut Cream
- 1Tbsp. ™Lemongrass
- 1Tbsp. ™Kaffir Lime Leaves
- ½Tbsp. ™Galangal
- 1Tbsp. ™Thai Premium Fish Sauce
- 1tsp. Sugar
- Small handful of Coriander
- Bring 300mL water to the boil.
- Add the Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime Leaves, Galangal, Tom Kha Soup Paste, Coconut Cream, and bring to the boil once more.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and any other vegetables you’re using.
- Season to taste with Thai Premium Fish Sauce and sugar.
- Simmer until chicken and mushrooms are cooked through.
- If you’re adding coriander, put it in now. Remove from the heat. Add ½Tbsp lime juice.